Hawai’i SEED and Slow Food O’ahu are organizing a 2nd “Seed Exchange & Gardening Fair” in Waimea Valley on Sunday, November 5, 2017 from 8:30am until 2:00pm.
Please bring your seeds and plant cuttings to share. We will be accepting plant materials starting at 8:30am.
(Note the Seed Sharing Protocol below).
In addition to the seed swap, this FREE event offers lots of information and inspiration for backyard gardeners and farmers including four workshops from community experts:
Backyard Beekeeping: Katie Metzger
Banana Cultivation: Gabe Sachter-Smith
Taro Huli Banking: Danny Bishop
Raising Backyard Chickens: Maxie Asagi
There will be a locavore potluck at noon. If you are attending the potluck, please bring your own plates, utensils and cups.
Please let us know if you would like to volunteer to help with the event by choosing that type of ticket when you register for this event: REGISTER
We hope to see you there, and mahalo for sharing this community event with your O’ahu family and friends.
Seed Sharing Protocol:
1. Do not share seeds of invasive species!
2. Do not share brassica seeds as spread of blackrot can happen, it is a seed-borne disease and many of the seed companies are having a problem with this.
3. Do not share old seeds as germination may be low.
4. Label or bring a description of each of the seeds you share including date of harvest.
5. Bring your own seed envelopes or baggies and markers for labeling.
6. Do not take more than 25% of any seed or cutting; leave some for others.